Northeastern University Oakland
Welcome to Oakland
Northeastern is a leader in experience-driven education and use inspired research. Northeastern University Oakland is the newest undergraduate campus in Northeastern’s global network, offering academic programs and experiential learning opportunities that reflect the buzzing entrepreneurial spirit of the Bay Area. Formerly Mills College, our Oakland campus continues to carry forward Mills’ focus on gender equity and social justice. Together they provide new opportunities for global experience and personalized learning.
Undergraduate students who earn their degrees in Oakland will have the opportunity to pursue majors and combined majors that prepare them to join the Bay Area community of innovators, ready to make an impact. With the support of a robust global network behind them, there are no limits to what Northeastern students can achieve.
Undergraduate students who enroll at NU Oakland and prefer to transition to Northeastern’s Boston campus may do so after completing their first year in Oakland.
Next Steps for Admitted Students
Welcome to NU Oakland
We are excited to welcome admitted NU Oakland students as members of the inaugural class this fall and for the continued growth that will come with Northeastern’s Oakland campus in the coming years. All students who enroll at NU Oakland in the Fall of 2023 will be able to directly transition to Northeastern’s Boston campus after completing their first year in Oakland. Students who would prefer to continue their studies in Oakland will have the opportunity to complete their program in the Bay Area.
Meet the Oakland Admissions Team
Students and families are invited to meet with Brendan Graham, Director of Undergraduate Admissions for NU Oakland, during a one-hour virtual session. These sessions are available Tuesday at 9:00 a.m. EDT and Thursday at 3:00 p.m. EDT and are excellent opportunities to have your admissions questions answered.
Frequently Asked Questions
For answers to the most frequently asked NU Oakland questions, check out our Northeastern University Oakland FAQs. For additional questions please contact email@example.com.
Steps to Enroll
To submit your deposit and officially enroll at Northeastern University Oakland, follow the steps below:
- Log into your Application Status Check. You will need to enter your NUID (which can be found on your acceptance letter) and your birth date in order to log in.
- Select “Northeastern University Oakland Enrollment Deposit”.
- Once you click “Submit” you will receive a confirmation email.
Your enrollment deposit can be submitted through your Application Status Check. Please note that enrollment deposits are non-refundable.
- Early Decision I students with Northeastern University Oakland as their preference – Please refer to your decision letter.
- Early Decision II students with Northeastern University Oakland as their preference – Please refer to your decision letter.
- All other admits – May 1
Documents Needed to Submit
After you submit your deposit and before departing for your fall semester, please request that the following information (if applicable) is sent to the address below:
- Final high school transcript (required)
- Advanced Placement test results
- International Baccalaureate exam results
- New or updated SAT/ACT scores (optional)
- Official secondary school national exam results
- College transcripts from any previously completed coursework
Mail this information to:
Office of Undergraduate Admissions Application Processing Center
P.O. Box 8210
Portsmouth, NH 03802
Admitted Student Programming and Visits
This spring, students and families will have the chance to connect with us through in-person and virtual events to help you experience the Northeastern community and our Oakland campus firsthand. Please visit your Application Status Check and keep an eye on your email for admitted student visit and programming information.
Northeastern University Oakland students can pursue a variety of interdisciplinary degree programs positioned at the intersection of technology, healthcare, science, and business.
Five majors will be available in Oakland:
- Biology (College of Science)
- Business Administration (D’Amore McKim School of Business)
- Computer Science (Khoury College of Computer Sciences)
- Health Science (Bouvé College of Health Sciences)
- Discover Oakland (Undeclared) Program
Offerings also include 10 of Northeastern’s signature combined majors:
- Business Administration and Communication Studies
- Business Administration and Design
- Business Administration and Economics
- Computer Science and Business Administration
- Computer Science and Biology
- Computer Science and Communication Studies
- Computer Science and Design
- Computer Science and Economics
- Health Science and Communication Studies
- Health Science and Business Administration
Academic Program Offerings
Northeastern University Oakland students will complete academic programs that feature the same core curriculum requirements as degrees offered at our Boston campus. Click here to see our full offering of courses for the 2023-2024 academic year. Learn more about the NU Oakland faculty and staff here.
Experiential learning is central to a Northeastern education, with co-op, research, and global opportunities available to all students no matter where they study. Oakland students will participate in a specially developed experiential entrepreneurship curriculum relevant to their academic program. Developed by Northeastern faculty, these project-based courses offer students the chance to engage with three context-driven themes: food security; technology, ethics, and creativity; and health and wellness. Whether students are interested in starting their own business or bringing an entrepreneurial spirit to their field, Oakland students will graduate ready to innovate.
Northeastern University Oakland is an urban oasis with 135 acres of lush green space in one of California’s most diverse and dynamic cities. The Oakland campus benefits from the rich culture of downtown Oakland and San Francisco, and is situated less than an hour away from the buzzing entrepreneurship of Silicon Valley.
Northeastern’s Oakland campus is home to 25+ student clubs and organizations. The Center for Leadership, Equity, and Excellence is the hub of student activities in Oakland. The center helps students join or create student clubs and organizations, supports student government, develops and hosts campus events, and offers inclusive leadership development opportunities grounded in social justice. Students will have the opportunity to meet new people, find new hobbies, and be a part of something in Oakland.
Northeastern University Oakland offers a variety of intramural and clubs sports from soccer to ultimate frisbee. Students will have access to a wide range of group fitness classes including yoga, spin, and self-defense as well as open gym/pool opportunities. Oakland provides a beautiful outdoor setting for recreation of all kinds.
Undergraduates who enter as first-year students in Oakland through fall admission will live in university housing during their first and second years unless a global experience or co-op experience takes them outside of Oakland. Students who choose to continue their studies in Oakland for the remainder of their program and who meet annual housing application and deposit deadlines will have guaranteed university housing in Oakland for four years.
Students who choose to transition to the Boston campus for their second year will be guaranteed one year of university housing in Boston for their second year. University housing in Boston for students in their third year and beyond is limited and on a space-available basis. These students live in a mix of university and off-campus housing in Boston or participate in co-op, study abroad, or learning opportunities outside of Boston.
Our Oakland campus dining options are not only delicious, but also environmentally sustainable. Much of our food is made with seasonal ingredients from local farms (including a community farm located on campus), so our chefs can cook from scratch and keep dishes fresh and healthy. Meals are served cafeteria-style at Founders Commons or cafe-style at the Tea Shop.
Northeastern University Oakland provides advising, advocacy, and all necessary accommodations to help students with various abilities thrive at Northeastern. Available services include, but are not limited to:
- Text-to-speech screen readers
- Student note takers
- Document conversion to Braille, e-books, and audio files
- Extra time on exams or assignments
- Distraction-free exam rooms
- Use of a computer during exams or lectures
- Accommodations for service animals and emotional support animals
Additional information can be found here.
Visit Northeastern University Oakland
Hosted by our admissions team, your campus visit experience will offer a firsthand look at life as a Northeastern student in Oakland. Join us to learn more about our experience-powered approach to education and have your questions answered.
Campus Transition Opportunities
Cost and Payment
The estimated cost for Northeastern University Oakland for the 2023-2024 academic year is $81,472 (USD). This cost includes $62,392 for tuition and fees, $10,610 for housing, and $8,470 for food for a total of $81,472 across the fall and spring terms. Please note that this is an estimate that is subject to Board of Trustee approval.
- Financing your education shouldn’t be complicated. The Office of Student Financial Services is available to help you navigate the forms, terminology, numbers, and deadlines associated with applying for and receiving financial aid.
- Northeastern meets the full demonstrated need of students eligible for federal aid. Whether through a scholarship or need-based grant, we provide you with the means to take the next step toward your future. That’s the Northeastern Promise.
- Please review the Office of Student Financial Services website for important information on deadlines and required forms.
- Contact the Office of Student Financial Services at: firstname.lastname@example.org or +1.617.373.3190.
The Office of Student Financial Services offers various payment methods by which your tuition bills can be paid. Additionally, several payment plans exist for families who would like to explore this option to finance their student’s time at Northeastern.
Follow us for live Q+A’s, student takeovers, and more.
Stay connected to the latest news, announcements, and conversations.
Watch our videos to learn more about life as a Husky.